analytics

Friday, August 31, 2012

Trashing a Dress | Sumner and Orting Wedding Photographer

If you've followed me for a while, you've heard and probably seen a few examples of a Trash The Dress photo session.  But if you're a new fan, this may be a completely new concept so I thought I'd take a few minutes this morning to explain what we are doing.
 
Trash the Dress is a very fun portrait session (although it's more like an adventure session!) for a couple that is already married or is about to be married. 
 
We usually start out not with water and ocean waves, but somewhere more simple but interesting and colorful.  For the next few we were in Seattle and had found this great red loading dock.  It is so bright it sets off the simplicity of the black and white perfectly!
 
 
I like to have fun and get silly as well as incorporate some glamour when we can. 
 
For this young lady, she wanted a view of her hometown in a park where she had played as a little girl.  Now grown and having moved away many years ago, revisiting this location was not just about the photo opportunities but it was a moment for her.
 
 
Slowly, we get dirtier and dirtier.  This location had a very fine dust-like dirt.  It wasn't anything to be concerned about in the long run, since we are not trying to stay clean!
 
 
 
 
After we've had enough of the unusual and perhaps slightly dirty locations, we go for some water.  This is my favorite part!  The dress gets "clean" and we get amazing images.  This one below captured the intensity of the waves as we tried to decide how deep was safe.
 
 
Safety is a huge concern for me.  I want to photograph the fun part of a wedding dress floating, but I never want my friends and clients to be in danger.  For almost every session that had us in the water, we never went beyond knee deep.
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
None of these dresses were ruined, each one was easily cleaned and put away as each lady found fit.
 
All of these images are from 2009 and I am so excited to begin again tomorrow morning! 
Mr. & Mrs. S have been married 10 years.  There is such a different kind of passion among couples who reach milestones like this and I can't wait to see it!
 
For more information about engagement, wedding or anniversary portraits please leave a comment here or email me at info@ndrobbs.com.
 
Thank you!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment