analytics

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Q&A |What to expect and how to prepare for portraits| Puyallup Family Portraits

Hello friends!
I thought we could mix up the blog a little bit while I continue to prepare some other sessions (and a wedding).  Let's take some common questions first! 


Q: Eeek, I'm so excited about our portraits!  But now I'm freaking out!  What do we wear?

A: Simplicity is king!  A clean and classic look with no busy patterns guarantees that the focus is on your faces and relationships!  Please try to avoid black, logos and large words.  Coordinating colors look great for the modern family portrait.  Think Blue and Yellow, grey and yellow, pink and brown, blues and greens, green and brown etc.  Pinterest has been a fantastic way to share color schemes and seasonally appropriate clothing.  Sometimes even winter coats can be well planned into the colors!

Q:  What about the kids?  Should they match and be little mini-adults?  Or something more whimsical?

A: This is entirely up to you!  On children, please avoid clothes that are clearly a size or two too big and the opposite!  Make sure they are comfortable with what they are wearing and it does not restrict movement.  If the child has certain things they want or need to be incorporated into the session please let me know at this point. 
Q: Now the clothes are picked out.  Where kind of location are we going to meet at?

A: Oooo, this is the fun part for me!  You can choose from an urban theme (bricks, alleys) or a rural theme (green, forest, grass).  In the Graham/Orting/Puyallup area we have a great selection!  Rivers, views of Mt. Rainier, quaint main streets, little coffee shops, fields of wild grass!  We will chat and get a direction for which setting would suit your family's personality and needs.  For instance, it is easier to photograph children in wide open spaces like fields of grass.  It is easier to photograph large groups in a rural setting.  It is more feasible to do small groups, a small family or individuals in an urban setting.  Occasionally I have photographed in some clients' back yards.  If you have a yard you'd like to use just email me a picture when we discuss location!

There is a travel fee for locations more than 30 miles beyond the 98374 area code and the 99021 area code. These two locations (Puyallup and Spokane) are the hub of my family and thus, my work. Spokane sessions are available during one or two weeks in July and for special events. If you would like more information about the travel fee to your area please email me directly. If you would to avoid the travel fee please let me know, I'm sure we can find a great place to meet that works for all of us!


Q: I'm trying to prepare my family.  What can I tell them to expect?

A: I arrive early to the home or location to have adequate time to prepare my equipment.  I will touch base with you in case there are any new ideas since our last discussion I am prepared for those.  I will take some time to get to know the child or children before I begin shooting.  Please give us a little space so they can be natural with me and do not feel the need to perform for you.  And just a little personal note, please try to refrain from saying "cheese!"  This word creates really toothy smiles that look quite unnatural.  :D



Q: What is a session fee?

A: The $100 session fee reserves the approximate one hour for your portrait session.  One rescheduled session is available at no extra charge in case of illness or extreme weather situations (and as I mentioned yesterday, the very rare inconsolable child).  Additional rescheduling is available at $70 per date.

Q: How long will the session take?
A: Family and child portraits usually take about one hour.  A small family can expect no less than 20 images to review, a larger family can expect no less than 30 images to review. 



Q: Okay, whew, we made it through the session!  Now what?

A: About a week after the portrait session is the ordering session.  I prefer to do these sessions in person whenever possible so that we may view the images together and you can ask questions immediately!  I also bring over a variety of sizes so we can place them in the room where you are considering hanging a print, to confirm the correct size and grouping.

I have three basic packages that range from $200-$600.   They are all created with families in mind!  Every package contains an album and at least image options!  For every image ordered as a print, that digital file will be gifted to you!  All orders must be paid in full before processing.

The final order will be delivered approximately 2-3 weeks after the ordering session, depending on the items ordered.


Q: I'm so excited!  Now that the prints are in my house I want to share them on Facebook too!  How do I do that?

A: Your digital copies on the CD are specially sized and protected for use on the internet.  You may post them on Facebook, a blog, use the headshots for LinkedIn or a digital picture frame.   They are not an appropriate size for printing.  If you would like additional prints or images for sharing digitally, we can discuss the options at the time of ordering.  As the artist, I retain the sole copyright of my work.  Copying and reprinting images without my written and expressed permission is a violation of federal copyright law.  The images on your disc come with my written permission to use these exact images and no others.




If there is anything else that I have not answered here please let me know!  I look forward to talking with you to discuss your portrait ideas and needs!




PS - follow me on Pinterest to see LOTS of wardrobe ideas and portrait themes!




No comments:

Post a Comment